CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Hello everyone.
I'm sorry we didn't post yesterday..It was a very eventful and trying day to say the least. As I'm sure most of you know, we are Jehovah's Witnesses and do not accept blood transfusions. For those of you who may not know, or understand our views regarding the matter, I will try to explain a little of what the Bible says, and why we feel the way we do.

There are some things that are common today that we, as Jehovah's Witnesses, do not take part in, one of which is the use of blood. We do so because we govern our lives by God's Word, and these things prove to be a safeguard for us. Acts 15: 28,29 says, "For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you, except these necessary things, to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood ... If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!"

This brings me to yesterday. I said in my previous post that Elijah has a blood clot in his leg. He has not been his normal happy self, and wants to be held all the time. I think he has figured out that when he is in our arms, it us usually the only time he is not being messed with. He was getting a shot every 12 hours of a medication called Lovenox, which is a blood thinning medication. He had blood drawn and when the labs came back, they showed that his blood count is very low. His platelets, in particular, are much lower than they should be. This is directly due to his blood clot, as well as the fact that he has three separate infections growing in his blood stream. In most situations, this is the point where the doctors would perform a platelet transfusion. We, as Elijah's parents, had to speak up and let them know that we would not consent to that being performed. This, of course, was not a decision that we took lightly. The doctors here at CHOP have been extremely understanding and cooperative in regards to our beliefs about blood transfusions and said that they would wait until the next day when the attending doctor was here and we could discuss it then. We called Brother Webster (who's on the Liaison Committee here in Philadelphia) and we were able to set up a meeting with all of the doctors who are involved in Elijah's care. Among them were the Hematology doctors, as well as the Endocrinologists. In short, they said they would give him about two more days to see if his body would, with the help of antibiotics, start to turn around and build up his platelet count on it's own. Unfortunately they have been put in a position where they must act from a legal standpoint with regards to giving Elijah a blood transfusion if it becomes an emergency. Later that day we were involved in a teleconference with a Judge, and both sides gave our opinions as to whether or not Elijah should get a blood transfusion, if the need arises. Joel and I did our best to express our views, and Brother Webster was there with us to help us along the way. He proved to be a big emotional support for us. Needless to say, it is one of those moments that I think we all hope and pray we will never encounter in this lifetime. The Judge, in the end, issued a court order to the hospital that hopefully at this point in time, will never have to be used.

So that is where we are now, and I'm so sorry this post is so long. I feel like I am still leaving things out. No words can express how much we appreciate EVERYONE who is praying for us, and keeping track of our journey. I know that we will come out on the other side...I just hope it is sooner rather than later. Elijah is a strong little man and I know that if any baby can endure what's he's been through, I can only imagine how strong he will be once he starts to feel better.

Love Always,
Joel, Eden and Elijah Thome

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel & Eden
Just a little note to let you know how much we all are so concerened about all that is going on and we are praying for the little elijah , we so hope you well all be home son and our baby well be well again. We love you alll very much and read the computer every day to see if any good news is in it.
Love to all & hugs
The older sisters Dee & Di

Anonymous said...

Eden and Joel,
Hey everyone here misses you guys... We have prayed every day and night for all of you! We hope to see you home soon.
Love you all
-Krebs-

Anonymous said...

Joel, Eden,& Elijah,
We talk about your family everday. What a nice example for our family you are. Our prayers are in your behalf. As 2 Cor. 1:3,4 says may "the God of all comfort" bring to the three of you some little bit of peace as you endure these troublesome times. Thank you for the updates. We are all looking forward to having you back home with us soon. Until then we love you and keep up the good work.
The Helmandollars

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,It's good to see that you're staying close to Jehovah and staying strong through your ups and downs. We hope to see you soon and hope that Elijah starts to get his blood count up.

Austin and Tina.

Anonymous said...

I am so grateful to Jehovah for his network of friends. I'm very grateful Brother Webster is there to support you. We will continue to pray that there is no need for that court order. We love you...Tami, Katie, Jonathan, and Sharon