CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 2, 2007

UPDATE ON ELIJAH

Today is day 11 here in Philadelphia and day 26 of our life since Elijah's being hospitalized. He will be 6 months old on Tuesday (crazy!!!) and despite all he's been through the last month, still has smiles to give all of the doctors/nurses that are helping to take care of him. Needless to say, this has been a very hard and trying time in our lives, and we have yet to make it to the other side. No words can express how much we appreciate everybody that has been there along the way of this journey thus far. We love you so much and can't wait to be home!!

Elijah has what is known as Hyperinsulinism. If you would like to know more about it, visit http://www.chop.edu/consumer/jsp/division/service.jsp?id=47690

He is currently being treated with medication, and it is working well at keeping his blood sugars stable without having to be on an IV. Our obstacle at the moment is that he doesn't have much of an appetite, and can't keep down the little that he does manage to eat. If he doesn't start to eat better in the next day or so, they will replace the feeding tube they took out on Thursday (we wanted to let him give it a go on his own.) We won't get a true reading on how the medication will work in the long run, until he starts eating as if we were at home.

That's about all for now, and I will hopefully be able to post more current pictures in a couple of days.

Love,

Joel, Eden & Elijah

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys-
Well as I'm sure you know, we had a huge garage sale for you guys today. I know Jehovah was directing people to it cause you guys will be happy with the results! Stephanie was up very early to prepare, as were many others. I think the whole congregation participated. There were people everywhere! We took some pictures for you.
Anyway- we just wanted to say hi and that you are in our prayers everyday. Remember that you can use our flyer miles to come home on. It is not standy, you get a real ticket. I gave Sonia all of the info you'll need to get the 2 tickets , so that you can get it without having to get ahold of me at work (because sometimes that is difficult).
Thanks for letting us know about this blog! It's a great idea!
We can't wait till you come home with a healthy little boy! We love you!
Sherm & Carla

Anonymous said...

hey guys! we are so excited to see this blog you have made... what an awesome idea! You never know what can happen and know that we cannot wait till you are back with us and the little man throwing up again all over mia! She misses his contributions to our carpet!! hehehehe
we miss you and love you three so much!
love shannon and dustin

Anonymous said...

Dear Joel, Eden & Elijah! What a great idea this is. I still say you ought to sell that one picture to Life magazine of Elijah. You will be able to use that when he starts dating and has a girlfriend over! Hah! we love you, and we are so proud of you for going thru this trial, still keeping cheerful and never giving up! Can't wait till you are back in Reno, Love from the S. Thome Family

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel and Eden! I was happy to hear from Paige that you had this blog so I can keep up on Elijah's progress. I have been thinking about you so much and hoping things are going okay. All of my friends who know you have been asking about Elijah also. Sorry I missed you, Eden, when I went to see Elijah at the hospital. He is absolutely adorable!! I hope you are all home soon. Love, Chris

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone,
Glad to hear Elijah is having a good day. We think about you often, and you are in our prayers. Hopefully we will see all 3 of you home very soon.
Love, Mack and Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Hi, Love the pictures, we have you in our prayers, and now we can see you everyday and see how its going, glad Elijah's having a good day. He is so cute. We will see you home soon we miss you all. Lots of Love
Cary and Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Hey guys-
I want you to know all three of you are in our thoughts and we wish the best.

Azelin and John